Daisypath Anniversary tickers

October 11, 2009

What Difference Do It Make? by Ron Hall, Denver Moore and Lynn Vincent


A book review

Warning: This book made me cry....buckets!!! From the beginning, I found myself with tears in my eyes.

I have heard of the book, Same Kind of Different as Me, but not yet had a chance to read it. What Difference Do It Make? is a follow-up of sorts to that book. It is not just a non-fiction work, but rather a true 'story' of how many lives can be changed by one woman's obedience to God.

Ron Hall and Denver Moore have spent the last several years developing a very strong friendship based on their shared love of God and a very special lady, Ron's wife, Deborah. Deborah reached out to the homeless at the Union Gospel Mission in Ft. Worth, Tx and simply brought husband Ron along. Deborah passed away from cancer but Ron and Denver have continued their friendship, written a book and now speak about homeless issues to various audiences.

This book, What Difference Do It Make?, highlights ways that other people reached out in their own neighborhoods and home towns after reading Same Kind of Different as Me. The subtitle, Stories of Hope and Healing,is definitely fitting. The true stories show how one person may not be able to change the world, but they can change one person that can start a chain of giving hope to the masses.

I could not pick just one story to highlight....too many of them tugged at my heart! However, I love Ron Hall's Thirty-Day Plan to End Homelessness! Do I think I can do it, or convince my friends or church to do it? I don't know. So, why do I like it?

I like the idea of being able to reach out to those 'less fortunate' than us without being judgemental. I will be honest, in my Dallas suburb, I don't see many homeless, but I do see those 'less fortunate'. I desire to have the freedom to just give...not expecting anything in return. If I give money and they blow it on alcohol, drugs or clothes, it doesn't matter. The point is that I give and then it is no longer mine...because I gave it up.

I am walking away from this book with a new perspective on giving. The people that shared their stories simply gave without judgement, without expectation, other than waiting and watching what God would do with the gift. When I consider that I have nothing that has not been given by God, how can I not give of my life, my faith?

The book is written primarily to Christians, those that already know Christ. However, the principles shared in the book are needed in every walk of life; To simply give of ourselves. I highly recommend the book to anyone that feels the tug of God on their heart to give more, give deeper.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow....

God's girl, Pamela

No comments: