Daisypath Anniversary tickers

August 29, 2009

What's He Really Thinking? by Paula Rinehart - a book review


Have you ever noticed that God brings someone or something into your life just at the moment you needed it most? That is exactly what happened when I received this book from Thomas Nelson, the publishing company.

I don't think I'm alone to say that we have a cyclical issue in our marriage. An issue that rears it's ugly head every few months or so, and threatens to ruin all of the hard work we have put into the last 21 years! I also don't think I'm alone when I say that when this issue comes up, he and I see it as polar opposites! So What's He Really Thinking? is a very intriguing title to me.

I appreciate the author's first major point tremendously; "Men aren't women with big feet and beards. They are completely other." It brings validation to my thought that he really has no clue how I feel! Why? He is absolutely nothing like me...in feelings, opinions or thoughts! NOTHING!

Paula Rinehart, the author, spends a whole three chapters on "Understanding the Man You Love". She uses scripture and her background as a counselor to point out many of the ways we are different. She uses stories of real people to show just how much many couples have in common...perhaps different discussions but many common threads.

I really enjoyed the chapter on Intimacy, especially finding my heart wrapping around the thought that, "Some of this man's weaknesses and flaws are the front door through which you enter and experience the love of God, which is the best of all loves." Oh, how true!

Without our personal struggle, I would not run to my Heavenly Daddy in such a state of need. I am convinced that I would not know the depth of love and grace that my God freely gives and then invites me to give...as part of being a "good forgiver."

No matter what stage of marriage or life you are in, this is an excellent book! It will help to remind you of why you married your particular man in the first place! It will give you practical ideas for ways to change your conflict. The author also gives several appendixes with ways to pray for, understand and love, not only the special man in our lives, but all of the men God has given us.

At some point in the future, I would love to do a ladies Bible study using this book as our guide. Would you be interested in joining me?

Praise God from whom all blessings flow...like my precious hubs!

God's girl, Pamela

No comments: