Daisypath Anniversary tickers

August 30, 2008

Common to man

Ecclesiastes 9:1-3
1 So I reflected on all this and concluded that the righteous and the wise and what they do are in God's hands, but no man knows whether love or hate awaits him. 2 All share a common destiny--the righteous and the wicked, the good and the bad, the clean and the unclean, those who offer sacrifices and those who do not. As it is with the good man, so with the sinner; as it is with those who take oaths, so with those who are afraid to take them. 3 This is the evil in everything that happens under the sun: The same destiny overtakes all.


My Sis and I were talking recently about a trait that I have...and it is not a very good one! The trait is that someone can tell me an issue or a problem they are going through, and I have a tendency to say, "Oh, I understand...this is what I'm going through, or have been through." How selfish of me!!!

The verse above tells it like it is; we all have problems and issues!!! They are common to ALL men! I am reminded of a conversation that took place several years ago between a good friend and myself that points out this same truth, only how God is involved in our lives is no different! My friend was being treated for throat cancer, while being a wife, a Mom to a sweet 5 yr old boy, and a business owner. I mentioned my fear of needles, and drs!, and that I would never be able to walk through something similar with the grace and poise that I saw in her! This same friend knows the issues in our home and said how funny that I felt that way, because she had recently told God she could never handle the things I was going through.

What are you going through that others cannot see themselves doing? Are you a spouse to an addict? Mother of a strong-willed teen? Friend of a broken marriage? Mom of a handicapped child? Mom of a shunned child? Do you have a physical ailment that limits you in any way? Are you disabled? Is your marriage breaking at the seams?

Could you possibly handle issues that others are facing? Could you be the Mom of the strong-willed teen? Could you handle being the spouse of an addict? Could you be the Mom of a handicapped child? Could you be disabled? Could you face singlehood after decades of marriage?

Being the big sister of a handicapped man, my perspective changed as I grew into adulthood and began to know people outside of my parents circle. I learned that we all have a handicap...it looks different for everyone, though! As humans, we really are alike, usually in more ways than we desire to admit!
I know when we have very little, I tend to look at others and feel they don't understand! But I also know that we all go through times when things are tight!
I know when I am sick, I feel like no one can possibly know the pain and agony I am in. However, everyone gets a headache or the flu!(amongst other things!!!)

How arrogant do I appear when I feel I am alone? Oh, how my ego suffers when I really consider that I don't have it all that bad! When I realize I could not handle the pressure of being a Mom to a handicapped child, or a person with a debilitating disease! I will stay where I'm at, knowing that God's grace has not given me more than I can bear! Knowing that I can do all things through Christ who is my strength!

I will be honest, this is not an easy, nor fun, post to write. I just feel so strongly that I need to share because I know arrogance is not that far off my radar! I would much rather tell you how fun the Friday night games were for my children...I'll do that one day next week. I would rather tell you how nice it was to have a date night with my sweet hubs...y'all can relate to that, though! But I feel compelled to put down my feelings, to be accountable and ask you to lift me up! I know I am not alone! I know God walks beside me!

I desire to become the daughter He wants me to be. When I do this, all other relationships fall into place! When I praise, all other worries melt away. When I give, I recieve so much more than I could have imagined! These are the promises I have been given - and I am not the only one!!!

Well, I think I'm through for now! If you are at a point that you need a shoulder to cry on, please don't hesitate to let me know! I promise I will try not to tell you how hard of a time I am having...and if I do, remind me to shutup and listen!!! Thank you for your soft shoulders!!! They are a Godsend!!!

Praise God from whom all blessings flow....

God's girl, Pamela

No comments: